1. Why were the high priest and the Sanhedrin so focused on finding Jesus worthy of death? Why did they hold this trial at the house of Caiaphas and during the night hours? Why didn’t they have a defense attorney for Jesus?
2. Why do you think that Jesus held His peace when the false witnesses gave testimony against Him? Why didn’t Jesus defend Himself? Is there a lesson that we can learn from His example?
3. Why did Jesus finally answer the high priest? What did Jesus mean when He said, “thou sayest it”? Was it blasphemy? Why or why not? Why didn’t they believe that Jesus is the Son of God?
4. Why didn’t Caiaphas look for witnesses to support his claim that Jesus had committed blasphemy? What was symbolic about Caiaphas rending his clothes? Why do you think he did it?
5. Why did those who were present at this trial physically attack Jesus? What were some of the things that they did to Him? Why didn’t Jesus stop them from this physical attack?
6. Personal reflection: How do you know that this trial actually occurred? Do you really believe that Jesus is God? How does this knowledge affect what you do with your daily life?
7. What did you learn or take away from this message?