Alternate Icebreaker: Tell about a time you returned to your “hometown.” What was it like? How were you “received?”
Passage: Luke 24:50-51
1. What did you learn or takeaway from this week’s message?
2. Ephesians 4:8 says that when Jesus ascended, He gave gifts unto man. What gifts does this refer to? What is the purpose of these gifts?
3. Why didn’t Jesus immediately go back to heaven instead of tarrying for 40 days before His ascension?
4. Why doesn’t Jesus make regular appearances among Christians today? What might happen if He did?
5. Why didn’t Jesus just vanish or disappear like He did in Emmaus rather than visibly ascend back to heaven?
6. Why did Jesus ascend from Bethany, and not from the Temple in Jerusalem? Does it matter where He ascended from?
7. What do these terms teach us about the manner of Christ’s ascension: “…he was RECEIVED UP…” (Mk. 16:19); “…CARRIED UP into heaven…” (Luke 24:51). “…he was TAKEN UP…” (Acts 1:9).
8. What is Jesus doing in heaven right now (Heb. 4:14-16; 7:25; 9:24)? If we’re saved once and for all, why does He need to make continual intercession for us?
9. What does “save them to the uttermost” mean in Hebrews 7:25?
10. What did Christ’s ascension prove?