Passage: Matthew 12:40
1. What did you learn or takeaway from this week’s message?
2. Why did Jesus have to personally go to Hell? Why did He personally have to go to Abraham’s bosom?
3. Why put Hell in the center of the Earth? Wouldn’t there be more room inside Jupiter?
4. What was the purpose in placing Abraham’s bosom right next door to Hell? Why couldn’t the dead cross the great gulf that separated them?
5. Why did Jesus preach to the spirits in the heart of the earth? Who were those spirits and what was the message that Jesus preached unto them?
6. Why couldn’t the Old Testament saints go straight to the 3rd heaven before Jesus shed His blood on the cross? What does it mean that He took captivity captive?
7. Do you think that Jesus’ soul reunited with his physical body when He came up after three days in the heart of the earth? Did His spirit also? When do you think that occured?
8. How come only the soul of Jesus went to hell? Was there a reason that His body had to stay in the tomb? What do you think was that reason?
9. Application: If Jesus felt that even the dead in Sheol needed to hear the gospel, why do we still hold back on presenting the gospel to the living? How can the people of BBC get better at presenting the gospel?
10. Reflection: Paul said that to live is Christ and to die is gain. Who/what should we be living for? How much of each day can you honestly say is lived for Christ? How much is lived for yourself?