Suggested Icebreaker: What do you look forward to the most this summer?
Passage: Matthew 5:38-41
1. What did you learn or takeaway from this week’s message?
2. Why is doing more than the minimum considered unusual? Is the church any different from the world in this regard?
3. Is there a tendency to question the motives of those who are doing more than the minimum? Is this more prevalent in the world, or in church? Why?
4. Why is it so hard to change our attitudes and humble ourselves before others? Does it make a difference if we feel that they deserve it? Should it?
5. What is wrong with simply meeting the minimum standard? What does it reveal about us?
6. Application: When is the last time you went the extra mile for someone? Were you recognized for your helpfulness and initiative? Should that matter?
7. Application: How do we change our attitudes about putting others first? Whom do you know that already models this attitude?