Partial outline: FULL PDF HERE
Why is there so many differences in religions?
1. Some have been seduced by Satan to believe “doctrines of devils” (1 Tim. 4:1; 1 John 4:1).
2. A failure to rightly divide the Scriptures (Mt. 22:29; 2 Tim. 2:15).
Most heresies are Bible doctrines that have been misapplied—Sabbath keeping; losing salvation; speaking in tongues; baptismal regeneration, etc.
God never changes (Heb. 13:8)—But the manner God carries out His plan may change during different covenants and dispensations (Heb. 1:1).
- Healing the blind (Mt. 20:34; Mk. 8:23; Luke 18:42-43; John 9:6-7).
- Reception of the Holy Ghost (Acts 2:38; 8:12-17; 10:44-48).
“Rightly dividing the Word of truth” involves looking for things that are different. We are to make a distinction where God makes a difference (cf. Ex. 8:23; Mt. 25:32). Things that are different cannot be made the same.
Baptism doesn’t always involve water. And there are more than one “gospel.”
This study is important because we are commanded to “preach THE GOSPEL to every creature” (Mk 16:15). A person is saved by believing the Gospel. The gospel is “the power of God unto salvation to every one that believeth” (Rom. 1:16). Therefore, we had better understand what the gospel is, if salvation is dependent upon it!
I. The MEANING of “Gospel.”
• Would you be able to tell someone what the gospel is? You’d be surprised how many people think they know but cannot tell you what it is. They cannot give you a Bible definition of what the gospel is.
A. By comparing Scripture with Scripture we see the word “gospel” means GOOD NEWS (Luke 4:18 cf. Isaiah 61:1).
• “Tidings”―A tide is something that goes out from you and comes in to you. That is what the gospel is supposed to do: It should go out from you and come in to someone else.
B. So, if the “gospel” is “good news” what is that “good news?” It depends on WHICH GOSPEL we are referring to.